Saturday, August 13, 2011
Pancreatitis Diet: Foods that Fight Pancreas Inflammation
Most foods are not anti-inflammatory and if you are trying to formulate your own anti-inflammation pancreatitis diet you want to eat foods that fight inflammation. Foods that are anti-inflammatory can be broken down into five groups that include:
1) Spices and Herbs. Certain spices are strongly anit-inflammatory and can be easily used to put out the fire of inflammation simply by adding them to your diet.
Garlic in every form, raw, powder, or cooked. When cooking the less it is cooked the more beneficial it is in regards to its myriad of benefits. For best results use 3 fresh raw cloves daily or one teaspoon of garlic powder by adding it to your meals.
Cayenne Pepper is one herb and spice that you should get to know inside and out. It is one of the most effective and highly anti-inflammatory herbs available and that is exactly why you find it in so many topical pain medications for such things as arthritis.
Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory and this potency is attributed to phenolic compounds called gingerols. In several studies ginger has been shown to be very useful in reducining pain and swelling for those who suffer from arthritis along with actually killing ovarian cancer cells.
Turmeric is a very potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs without the side effects and when combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and even stop the growth of existing cancer.
2) Vegetables. Some of the more highly anti-inflammatory veggies are brussel sprouts, broccoli, beet greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, green chili peppers, and spinach. Other good choices include carrots, green snap beans, green leaf lettuce, asparagus, cauliflower and sweet green peppers.
3) Fruits. Raw oranges (not store bought juice), raw papaya, raw avocado (especially California variety), tomatoes (yes they are a fruit), pink and red grapefruit, strawberries (raw), raspberries, blue berries, huckle berries, apricots (raw), cantaloupe (raw). Most other fruits believe it or not have inflammatory properties.
4) Nuts and Seeds. Almonds, cashews, pecans, pistachio, hickory, brazil, hazel and macadamia nuts offer excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Flax Seed is strongly anti-inflammatory and has the added benefit of being a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. Caraway, yellow mustard, dill, cumin and celery seeds also offer some anti-inflammatory properties.
5) Fish. Wild salmon, makerel, sardines and trout are the most anti-inflammatory and also have the highest amount of beneficial fish oil.
I'm sure there are other somewhat safe foods for a pancreatitis diet in the veggie and fruit categories but those are the better one. You can check your food selctions for an "inflammation factor" using this tool.
Oh and the site that has that tool is not mine, I just use the tool to check food inflammation factors and that's it, I suggest you do the same.
Leave a comment and let me know you are alive!